Guest blogger Emily Tapp returns with another delicious recipe.
Made from only water, agave, coconut milk, cashew nuts and desiccated coconut, Booja Booja Coconut Hullabaloo is the creamiest dairy-free coconut ice-cream I’ve ever had the pleasure of devouring.
I knew that paired with chewy, vegan cookies studded with big chunks of coconut and dark chocolate, the ice-cream alternative would shine. This recipe reminds me of Disney Land Florida and the copious number of ice-cream sandwiches I managed to consume in the week I was there with my family when I was a little girl; only with a more grown-up, healthier and delectable twist.
I made these cookies around Valentine’s Day and, in true February 14th spirit, cut my cookies into heart shapes before sandwiching them with a melty scoop of Booja Booja Coconut Hullabaloo. An optional step, of course, but it makes them awfully sweet to look at. Plus, cookie cut-off leftovers are never a bad thing.
CHOCOLATE COCONUT COOKIE SANDWICHES (FOR TWO)
- 2 tbsp soft (but not melted) coconut oil
- 3 tbsp agave syrup
- Splash of vanilla extract
- 60g spelt flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Chopped dark chocolate
- Chopped coconut chunks/flakes
- Sea salt
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Cream together the coconut oil, vanilla extract and agave.
- Add the spelt flour and baking powder then stir until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and coconut chunks.
- Spoon equal quantities of dough onto a greaseproof lined baking tray and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until they are slightly golden.
- When cooled, sandwich a scoop of Booja Booja Coconut Hullabaloo Ice-Cream Alternative between two cookies and devour. The messier it gets, the better.
You can view more of Emily’s work on her website, emilytapp.co.uk.