Another tantalising recipe from our guest blogger Emily Tapp.
Vanilla ice-cream is a timeless classic, although perhaps the most misunderstood of all the ice-cream flavours to have existed. It may be simple, but Booja Booja Keep Smiling Vanilla M’Gorilla Ice Cream Alternative is rich in depth of flavour and creamy texture.
Vanilla is an excellent canvas for an ice-cream sundae, any toppings somehow working harmonious wonders with a single scoop. To make a VANILLA S’MORES SUNDAE, add two scoops of ‘Keep Smiling Vanilla M’Gorilla’ to a bowl, crumble over a couple of homemade graham crackers (recipe below) and drizzle liberally with hot chocolate tahini sauce (recipe also below).
Nutty from the tahini, intensely rich from the chocolate, crunchy thanks to a generous sprinkling of homemade graham cracker crumbs; all supporting the star of the show, the humble scoop of vanilla.
HOMEMADE GRAHAM CRACKERS
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 3 tbsp molasses
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 2 tbsp agave nectar
- 1/2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 150g wholewheat flour
- 150g oat flour
- 2 tbsp coconut palm or raw demerara sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- Combine the coconut oil, molasses, almond milk, agave and ground flax.
- In a larger bowl, combine the flours, granulated sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, ginger and nutmeg.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until it comes together as a ball of dough.
- Lightly flour a rolling pin and roll out the dough to about half a cm thick.
- Cut the crackers into square shapes with a bevel-edged cookie cutter, placing each piece onto the prepared baking sheet. Poke a few fork holes into each cracker.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and flip each cracker over with a spatula and return to the oven for 5 more minutes. Transfer crackers to a cooling rack until fully cool.
HOT CHOCOLATE TAHINI SAUCE
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tbsp almond milk
- 2 tbsp cacao or cocoa powder
- 5 tbsp tahini
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Whisk all ingredients until smooth.
- Heat gently over the hob when getting ready to serve the vanilla s’mores sundaes.
- Leftover sauce will keep in a jar in the fridge for two weeks; spread on toast, add to almond milk and heat for hot chocolate or eat right from the jar with a spoon…
You can view more of Emily’s work on her website, emilytapp.co.uk.